10 Sure Ways to Being Happy!
In the words of Sheryl Crow “If it makes you happy, it can’t be that bad.” So while some of the things on the list may seem bad at first, the happiness they bring will be well worth it. Scientists have come up with 10 things guaranteed to make you happy. Some of which you may find harder to believe than others.
1. First on the list is savour everyday moments. We have all heard this one before but are still likely to get to caught up in our hectic lives to actually do so. Next time you are enjoying a particularly nice cup of coffee, don’t down it in a hurry to get caffeine before work. Bring it to your desk sit down and actually enjoy it before your day escapes you.
2. Avoid comparisons. This means in all aspects of your life. Don’t dwell on the fact Betsy Business is the workplace hero, or Suzie Soccermom makes the favorite cookies for snack time. And really don’t compare yourself to Gina Gymsalot while trying to work out. Focus on you and what you are achieving in your own life.
3. Life is not all about the money. The more you focus on money and the things it buys for you the less rewarding those things become. Treat yourself every once in awhile without stressing about the money factor. This just leads to anxiety and low self-esteem. So take a moment to relax and go get a nice massage to take away some of that stress. Why not stop at downtown pittsburgh salons, like Verve 360.
4. Next on the list is have meaningful goals. If the goals mean something to you, you are going to enjoy pursuing them more. If you take on goals that are meaningful to others they are going to seem like a chore and bring your happiness down.
5. One thing you make not expect to make the list is taking on initiative at work. This seems to be counterproductive because more work is associated with more stress. This is not the case. Taking initiative gives you control and makes the task much more rewarding once completed.
6. Friends and Family. Not shocking this made the list. But this one goes back to the age old saying its not quantity but quality. A few deep meaningful relationships will boost your happiness much more than having a bunch of acquaintances.
7. “Put a smile on your face, makes the world a better place.” Not just a song, but a true fact. If a smiley, positive outlook does not come naturally try to make it a habit. Smile even when things are getting tough or look for the glass half full part of a bad day. This will then start to become second nature and make you happier all the time.
8. Say thank you! And not just a mumbled, you feel like you have to, so you do thank you, but a genuine one. Showing appreciation for other people not only makes there day but will help improve yours as well.
9. Exercise. In one of my favorite movie quotes of all time (well maybe just from silly chick flicks), Reese Witherspoon exclaims “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands, they just don’t.” While I hope the last part of this Legally Blonde quote doesn’t apply to any of you, the first part is fact. Trust me, the after workout happy feeling is the only thing that can force me to the gym on a Monday.
10. The last one, but still just as important as the rest. Help out or give it away. Volunteering or even just helping out a neighbor in need can bring you happiness, not just them. Plus helping out a neighbor always has the added benefit of them helping you out in the future. And all that stuff you have stuffed away in the attic that is never going to get used again, give it away. It will free up space and improve your overall happiness.